In ancient yoga, as well as in modern science, the spinal cord is the most important and most subtle part of the body. Most asanas involve the spinal column. The asanas are designed to cultivate the root of our tree of life, the spinal column. This asana helps to develop the spine.This asana is also called the Bow pose. In this asana, the focal point of concentration is the spinal column. Just relax in this posture. With full awareness and concentration, feel the pull exerted in the spine and back muscles. Know your flexibility, and do not strain beyond a point. Thoughts must be gently brought back to focus, if they tend to drift away. The mind must be fixed on the bodily movements and should be relaxed.
Steps to follow (Dhanurasana):
- One should lie on the ground facing downwards.
- Catch the ankles with the hands by bending the legs backwards.
- The body will resemble a bow when you bend the body by resting on the Abdomen with the spine arched.
- This pose must be maintained for a few a seconds, and then come back to the starting position.
- This asana is very good for ladies.
- It cures constipation and removes excess fat.
- It acts as a cure for dyspepsia, rheumatism and gastro intestinal disorders.
- It improves digestion and appetite.